Tuesday, June 6, 2017

I consider Kaepernick not being on an NFL team petty, but also don't have an issue with it

As the Colin Kaepernick saga rages on, I've found myself distancing myself from what I consider a boring story. However, boredom has evolved into annoyance, and I guess I feel that getting my opinion on the matter off my chest will be the best way to wipe my hands of this and forget about it entirely.

With each passing week, the growing sentiment from media and fans alike is that Kaepernick is being "blacklisted" and some teams flat out refuse to sign him because of him kneeling during the national anthem to make a statement about our country's social issues and police violence. For the record, I never had a problem with what he did. I personally find the issue of police violence in this country overblown, and being that social media covers every corner of the world every second, it just appears there is more police violence today than there used to be. However, that is another debate for another time. Even if I disagree with Kaepernick's stance, police violence against innocent people is an issue nonetheless, and I have no problem with him exercising his right to do what he felt is right. I wouldn't call myself a "Kaepernick supporter" either, I was kind of ambivalent on the matter. I never really cared all that much about it to be honest.

If the owners are conspiring against him collectively, then I have a major issue with it. That's completely disgraceful, it's collusion, and they should be called out on it and there should be an investigation into the matter. It's also unlikely to be the case. What's more likely is whether it's public pressure, or personal feelings on his political beliefs, organizations are individually choosing not to sign him. Is it petty to hold someone's political beliefs, which is their right to express, against them? Absolutely. Is it what I'd consider wrong? No. Just like it was Kaepernick's right to express himself, it's the right of the owners and organizations not to want him. If I owned a business and was interviewing candidates, if one of the candidates stood for something I vehemently disagreed with, I wouldn't hire them. Even if they were fully qualified for the job. We all have principles, and the rest of the world doesn't have to agree with them, but it's our right as individuals to have those principles.

The owners are not "depriving him of the ability to work" like many have been saying. He's free to work wherever he wants, but he needs to be selected from a group of candidates for the job just like any other job. Not wanting him because of whatever perceived "risks" he comes with is no different than a team not signing a player because of an injury history. The player may be totally healthy, but there are concerns about him suffering injuries years prior. Does it suck? Of course, but that's life. If organizations feel they will lose ticket sales or ratings because of a signing, it's the prerogative of the owners to be uneasy about bringing that player in. The NFL is a business after all. Do I agree with it? No, but I think people in this country need to be more accepting of other's beliefs even if we disagree with them. Just like people who didn't agree with Kaepernick kneeling, but accepted his right to do so, I think others should be more accepting of how owners view the situation even if you disagree with it. It's hypocrisy to want rights and freedoms, but try to force people to think a certain way. It's a hive mind mentality, it's dangerous, and sets a bad precedent. "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that.'" said Garrison Keillor.

What I do have a problem with is certain people using Colin Kaepernick as a means to promote their agenda. I feel people are more concerned about getting their political and social agenda out there than seeing Kaepernick actually get a job, and they are using Kaepernick's situation as a slimy way to promote their agenda. I read an article earlier today that accused the NFL owners of being "Trump supporters and "racists" and the league being "anti-black." Really? You mean the league that gave convicted felon Michael Vick a second chance? Scumbag and woman-beater Greg Hardy a second chance? A league that selected Joe Mixon in the 2nd round of the NFL draft? The facts don't back up these baseless claims. Also, last time I checked, until all the owners make it publicly known who they voted for, all of it is mere speculation.

In a social media age where faux outrage is the thing, and people are constantly combing the internet for stories to stand behind to make their agendas look more legit, Colin Kaepernick's story was Christmas come early. Anyone who wanted to go on a tangent that had a deep-seated issue with the NFL and its owners now have something new to use to add fuel to the fire. I personally tend not to go on tirades against people I don't even know, but hey, that's just me.

Ultimately, it's just an unfortunate situation all around, but I stop going farther than that. Business can be cut-throat, as we all know. The NFL especially so. It's hard to take a stronger stance until there is physical and tangible proof of something unsavory and conspiratory going on. For now, the NFL world awaits the next QB to tear an ACL for the discussion to heat up again, and the outrage is on the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment